- 1 cup whole skin on roasted almonds, finely chopped
- 100 grams dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 soft dates, pitted and finely chopped
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 6 egg whites at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 300 ml cream, whipped
- 1-2 punnets raspberries
- pistachio or vanilla halva
Preheat the oven to 160˚C fan bake
2 x 20 cm cake tins, greased and bases and sides lined with baking paper
Combine the almonds, chocolate, dates and lemon zest in a bowl and toss well, ensuring the dates aren’t clumped together.
Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Combine the sugar and spices and gradually beat into the egg whites a spoonful at a time until very thick and glossy.
Using a large metal spoon, fold in the almond mixture.
Divide the mixture evenly between the two tins.
Bake for 30 minutes until puffed and golden. Cool the cakes in the tins.
Remove the baking paper and place one torte on a serving platter.
Top with half the whipped cream then place the second torte on top.
Spread over the remaining cream and top with fresh raspberries and halva if using, and a dusting of icing sugar. Serves 8-10
Halva is available in the international section at supermarkets and Asian and gourmet food stores.
Roasted almonds are available in the loose bins at supermarkets.