The winners of the 2016 Brewers Guild of New Zealand Beer Awards were announced this evening during a celebratory dinner at The Langham in Auckland.
A panel of qualified national and international judges assessed 950 entries over three days, grading each beer on how well it exemplified its particular style as well as its balance of taste, aroma and appearance.
- Champion New Zealand Brewery: Tuatara Brewing Company
- Champion International Brewery: Boston Beer Company
- Champion Manufacturer: Steam Brewing
- Morton Coutts Trophy: John Harrington
- BGNZ Beer Writer of the Year: Michael Donaldson
- International Lager: DB Breweries, Heineken Light
- New Zealand Lager: Tuatara Brewing Co., Mot Eureka
- British Ale: Sprig & Fern Brewery, Best Bitter
- European Ale: Moa Brewing Company, Moa St Josephs
- US Ale: 8 Wired Brewing, Tall Poppy
- Pale Ale: Tuatara Brewing Co., Sauvinova
- Strong Pale Ale: Epic Brewing Company, Epic Armageddon IPA
- Stout and Porter: Emerson's Brewing Co., Emerson's Phantom Lord
- Wheat and Other Grain: Tuatara Brewing Co, Weiz Guy
- Flavoured and Aged: Choice Bros, Reet Petite
- Specialty, Experimental, Aged, Barrel, Wood-Aged: Croucher Brewing, Lowrider
- Cider or Perry: Zeffer Cider Co., Cidre Demi-Sec
- Fruit or Flavoured Cider or Perry: Zeffer Cider Co., Apple Crumble Cider
- Packaging: Moa Brewing Company, Moa NZ Gold Ale 375ml Retail Unit (Bottle/Cork/Muselet/Label)
For more about the Brewers Guild New Zealand Beer Awards visit brewersguild.org.nz.