An Italian classic. The Capricious Pizza (Capriosca in Italian) will use the same base as a Margherita and will be enhanced by Kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes strips, hot salami, ham, marinated artichokes and two kind of cheeses. Full flavoured tomato-based pizza that will always manage to please everyone.
375g of pizza dough rolled onto 2 oiled trays (or 2 store bought pizza bases)
For the tomato sauce
2 large ripe fresh tomatoes, blanched, peeled and very finely chopped
2 medium garlic cloves crushed
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped (or 1 tsp dry oregano leaves)
¼ tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsps. Store bought pizza sauce
½ cup Always Fresh sundried tomato strips – drained
½ cup Always Fresh Sliced Kalamata olives – drained
1 cup marinated artichoke hearts – drained
75g thinly sliced hot salami
75g thinly sliced leg ham
2 cups grated cheese (1 cup of mozzarella and 1 cup tasty Cheddar)
2 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
- If you’re short of time just use a premade pizza base and pizza sauce rather than making everything from scratch.
- Make the pizza dough following this recipe (or set up your store-bought pizza bases on large ovenproof trays).
- Brush the bases with a little olive oil.
- If you are making the tomato sauce, place a small wire sieve over a bowl, add the chopped tomato, sprinkle with salt, allow to sit for 10 minutes to draw out some of the water.
- Throw out the liquid in the bowl and add the drained tomato, tomato paste, oregano, garlic and a grind or 2 of black pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Spread the sauce (homemade or store-bought) thinly over the bases.
- Cover the bases with two thirds of the grated cheeses.
- Scatter with marinated artichoke hearts, sundried tomato strips, sliced Kalamata olives, salami and ham and finish with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the pizzas at 200˚C for 10 to 12 minutes. Until golden brown, cooked through and bubbling.
- Scatter with a few oregano leaves and serve.