Large green olives (buy either pitted or with the stone, in which case you will have to halve and remove the pits yourself)
I’ve used a base layer of mozzarella then added 1 additional topping in each olive and a herb where relevant.
- Fresh mozzarella in whey, drained, sliced and then placed between kitchen towels to absorb excess water. Cut to fit the olives.
- Roasted and peeled red or yellow capsicums, sliced. (I used El Navarrico piquillo pepper strips)
- Tinned squid, sliced (I used Albo stuffed squid in American sauce)
- Chorizo sausage, sliced and pan-fried, drained on kitchen towels
- White or regular anchovies