The nation’s top sausage has been found at Mangawhai Meat Shop with their Chicken, Lime and Lemongrass sausage beating 500 entires in the Devro Great New Zealand Sausage Competition.
Competition judge and President of Food Writers New Zealand, Kathy Paterson described the winning creation as "mouth-watering".
“It really stood out from the rest because of its flavour combination which, while unique, wasn’t over the top – it was just perfect really,” says Kathy.
“I know the maker of this sausage, Dan Klink, is an extremely passionate butcher and it really shows.”
More than 500 sausages were examined and tasted by a panel of 24 judges, which included chefs and food writers.
Supreme Award: Mangawahi Meat Shop, Chicken, Lime & Lemongrass
People’s Choice Award: New World Rolleston, Pork & Tasmanian Apple Cider
Devro New Zealand Wildcard Winner: Col’s Butchery, Free Range Chicken & Parsley
- Beef category: Harris Meats, Old English Beef
- Pork category: PAK’nSAVE Riccarton, Country Pork
- Flavoured category: Greytown Butcher, Beef Flavour
- Poultry category: Col’s Butcher, Free Range Chicken & Parsley; Mangawhai Meat Shop, Chicken, Lime & Lemongrass
- Pre-cooked category: Hellers, Classic Saveloys; Peter Timbs Meats, Pork, Lemon & Parsley
- Continental Fresh category: New World Stonefields, Fresh Chorizo
- Continental Ready-to-eat category: Ashby’s Butchery – The Naked Banger, Pepperoni Bierstick
- Black Pudding / Rounds category: Waikanae Butchery, White Pudding
- Traditional Flavour category: New World Rangiora, Free Farmed Pork‘n’Fennel
- Gourmet Beef category: Aussie Butcher New Lynn – Reuben’s Made in Store, Beef, Mushroom & Parmesan
- Gourmet Pork category: New World Rolleston, Pork & Tasmanian Apple Cider; Peter Timbs Meats, Pork, Jalapeno & Cheese
- Gourmet Varietal category: Peter Timbs Meats, Wild Venison & Black Plum
Find the full list of winners at meatexportnz.co.nz.