1. Remove the plunger from the chamber and set it aside.
2. Remove the filter cap from the chamber and insert a paper filter into it. Replace the cap.
3. Sit the chamber on top of your cup or server and, using the Aeropress scoop, add one level scoop (13g) of medium-ground, plunger- or filter-grind coffee into the chamber per 200ml of water.
4. Bring freshly drawn water to the boil and allow it to cool for 30 seconds so the temperature drops to between 92°C and 96°C.
5. Slowly pour hot water into the chamber. You should add only enough water to ensure that the grounds are wet to allow the coffee to bloom.
6. Slowly pour the remaining hot water onto the grounds, then place the plunger on top of the chamber and plunge.
Established in 1990, L'affare is one of New Zealand's largest premium coffee businesses. In their latest book, How to Make Really Good Coffee, they spill the beans on how to extract the best cup from your equipment - whether you use a plunger, filter, stovetop or full-blown espresso machine. The book will be available from 1st August in all good bookshops, and costs $27.99.